“A Healthy Tree is a Happy Tree”
Trees are important in our lives. They are vital natural resources in our communities, homes, and yards. Trees shade our homes and streets and beautify our landscape and cities. Trees are effective in cooling urban areas, using carbon dioxide from the air, reduce water runoff and soil erosion, and improve our environment overall.
Unfortunately, trees in our cities and communities often do not grow long enough or well enough to become nearly as large or as old as they would in typical forest conditions. Forest trees may live to be hundreds of years old or more, but the average city tree lives only 32 years
So, why do our urban trees perform so poorly? One, they live in a very harsh, unnatural environment. And two, most tree-care programs are reactionary. They focus on treating tree problems or symptoms rather than proactive, beneficial programs designed for long-term tree health
A tree is a system. All of its components are part of a single, interacting plant system. What happens in one part of the plant has an effect on the overall system. By understanding how the tree system grows, how it defends itself, and how it dies, we can apply proper, long-term tree care that can improve health and longevity
Top 5 things that Frady Tree Care can assist homeowners with to promote healthy trees:
- MULCH– Mulching is the most beneficial thing a homeowner can do for the health of trees. Mulches are materials placed on the soil surface to improve soil structure, oxygen levels, and temperature and moisture availability. Properly applied, mulch can give landscapes a handsome, well-groomed appearance. Mulch must be applied properly. If mulch is too deep or if the wrong material is used, it can actually cause harm to trees and other landscape plants. Mulch should usually be 2-4 inches deep.
- FERTILIZE–Frady Tree Care Specialists will customize the right plan for your trees based on tree age, diseases, health, location, and weather and stress conditions. Seasonally, fertilizer is needed:
a) In the fall, plant roots absorb nutrients that will be used during spring growth periods.
b) In the spring, plant roots absorb nutrients that will be used throughout the growing season.
- PRUNING – Pruning is essential in developing a tree with a strong structure and desirable form. Pruning is important to maintain and improve the health of your trees. There are several different methods of pruning: Crown elevation, crown clean, crown restoration, etc. A certified arborist with Frady Tree Care Specialists will do a FREE site visit and explain the pruning plan that is best for your trees health. Please NO TOPPING!!!
- PROTECT THE TREE’S CRZ -Protecting the tree’s critical root zone is extremely important.Before starting a mulching project, become familiar the critical root zone (CRZ) or tree protection zone. This zone is generally defined as the area under a tree and out to its dripline. Improving conditions in this protection zone will also result in major health benefits to a tree.
- DISEASE AND INSECT CONTROL – diseases and pest can attack your trees. If not controlled in a timely manner, your prize investment could be in danger of dying. Frady Tree Care can create a pest management program to get your tree back to growing healthier.
Remember: A Healthy Tree is a Happy Tree.
Frady Tree Care offers a variety of services, but we also employ Certified Arborists that are well-rounded in the field of Arboriculture. Please click on the articles below to learn more.